Open Positions the NOMAD HUB
Would you like to shape what the future of materials science will look like? Become part of the NOMAD team as data or condensed-matter scientist or master / PhD student!
Join our team!
FAIRmat and the brand-new NOMAD HUB - NOMAD Data Center at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin are seeking several highly qualified and motivated colleagues to join the dynamic NOMAD team towards shaping the future of materials science! We are currently looking for several highly qualified and motivated colleagues at all levels, specifically:
- Administrative support in the FAIRmat team
- Administration of third-party funds (i.e. personnel matters, business trips)
- Organization of internal and international events
- Professional experience in administrative work or comparable knowledge
- Experience in organization, administration, finance, and personnel
- Knowledge of German university structures
- Knowledge of common office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) as well as modern office and information technologies (e-mail, WWW)
- Knowledge of content management systems
- Excellent communication skills in English and German
- Knowledge of third-party funding management
- Excellent organizational, communication, and social skills
- You help to develop NOMAD, a web-based application for managing, visualising, and sharing scientific data and the largest materials science database in the world
- You join the NOMAD interdisciplinary development team at Humboldt University (NOMAD Data Center at HU Berlin)
- You work with modern web frameworks and technologies (REACT, material-ui, FastAPI, RabbitMQ, Elasticsearch, Mongodb, and parallel file systems)
- You implement features across the whole (or parts) of our stack: frontend, backend, and/or devops
- You work in an agile environment supported by CI/CD and TDD
- You help less experiences software engineers to grow their skills, review code, spread your knowledge, and learn from others
- Possibility for traveling to meetings and code-camps
- Completed academic degree (master or similar) in computer science, physics, materials science, or another relevant field
- Experience with web-application development
- Good understanding of the whole stack and expert knowledge in multiple of these technologies:
- REST API development with python, data modelling and databases (ideally with MongoDB and Elasticsearch), task-queues (e.g. Celery, RabbitMQ)
- OAuth, SAML (e.g. with Keycloak)
- Linux, Docker, Kubernetes, GitLab-ci
- Experience in using Git as a team with complex branching strategies (e.g. GitFlow)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Being a team player
What we offer
A stimulating, multidisciplinary working environment, a pay scale classification (TV-L), ample development opportunities, and flexible working hours. The majority of the team will be based at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, but may spend time in partner groups all over Germany. The positions are limited until 30 September 2026 with a perspective towards prolongation. You will work at the FAIRmat headquarters, the brand-new NOMAD Data Center at HU Berlin.
Who we are
FAIRmat stands for FAIR Data Infrastructure for Condensed-Matter Physics and the Chemical Physics of Solids. FAIRmat is a consortium of the National Research Data Infrastructure NFDI, which is building a FAIR data infrastructure for materials science and related research areas. The NOMAD HUB - NOMAD Data Center at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin is the FAIRmat headquarters. NOMAD Novel Materials Discovery Laboratory is the biggest data store in computational materials science, worldwide. We are currently advancing its data infrastructure towards materials synthesis, experimental physics, theory, and data processing workflows. The new digital infrastructure and cloud services based on leading-edge IT technologies supports Open Data and Open Science towards data-centric materials science involving Artificial Intelligence.
... Interested in joining FAIRmat?
Excited by the prospect of joining us? Send us your application (single pdf containing your motivation letter, cv, certificates, and 3 references) via our contact form or by e-mail to Victoria Coors (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Victoria Coors (email@example.com)
- Sandor Brockhauser (firstname.lastname@example.org)